Monday, February 25, 2019

Day Two is a Wrap

Friends-- it has been a long couple of days. I am most gratified that this blog has received, as of 10:52 p.m. tonight, more than 1600 views (this is more than the sales of my books combined! Well, not quite, but still quite a number!). I thank you and pray that my reactions and impressions have not misguided you at all or been camouflage, but have helped you a bit as you have tried to do your own processing about the General Conference.

On a personal note: I have eaten badly, slept poorly, and consumed too much... well, I am in St. Louis after all!

One more day to go. Tomorrow we will be looking at Wespath Plan (which has to do with church property, pensions and the like), the Traditional Plan (which is the only plan that survived today's debate and legislative voting), and two Exit or Disaffilliation plans.

As to matters related to Wespath, there is still considerable discussion as to what it will "cost" a church that wishes to leave the denomination with their property (which is held in trust for the Annual Conference). Right now, there is talk of the equivalent of two years of Conference apportionments, some amount related to pension... the exact amount would vary from church to church. Whether churches could afford such a pay-out is a live topic. I doubt we will get more specific information than the above on tomorrow.

As regards the Traditional Plan, cynicism reigns--at least among the folk with whom I have talked.  There is a rumor that some of the most vocal advocates of this plan will get it passed, then leave the denomination anyway to start their own ("setting the house on fire as you close the door" is the language that has been used). The plan as it was originally advanced ran afoul, last fall, of the Judicial Council, but tomorrow will see us attempt to "perfect" the motions.

If the restrictive language is tightened and the investigative/punitive aspects ratcheted-up, no telling where that will leave many pastors and churches, bishops and annual conferences.

My suspicion is that Boards of Ordained Ministry will receive WAY more than the usual requests for early retirement (a friend told me tonight that while s/he had not really thought about retirement till this week, and could not have imagined this conference prompting such thoughts, s/he now thinks "sooner rather than later," and maybe much sooner; and "if I have to sign some sort of oath of allegiance to the new rules, WAY sooner").

If the TP is defeated (not likely), we would leave St. Louis $5 million poorer and in exactly the same square we were in Saturday morning. Of course, for some supporters of the OCP, better poorer and where we were than where we might end up if the TP passes.

Then there is the matter of Exit or Disaffiliation Plans. If you are interested, you may find the five plans here--though only two of them passed from today and into tomorrow. The Boyette Plan and the Taylor Plan are the last ones listed and described in the link.

http://www.umglobal.org/2019/02/what-are-differences-between-five-exit.html?m=1

Friends in the know say we should "root" for the Taylor Plan, as the Boyette plan guts the agencies and depletes reserves so that the agencies will be crippled from the get-go.

Again, some are in favor or torching the place. But what we hope and pray for is a gracious exit. 

I will try to keep you posted tomorrow. You may of course watch the live stream.

And as a part of that you may choose also to see, as a PiP, the ESL presentation.

I was reminded of that this afternoon when I had a chance today to talk for about 15 minutes to my friend Michelle Provart Menefee, the ESL interpreter I met last summer in Dallas. It was so good seeing her again! 

Members of HLUMC may remember that I preached a sermon with Michelle as the primary illustration: how mesmerized I was watching her work that conference because she absolutely inhabited the language of the presentations. I was speechless, but tearful, watching her work. In my sermon I talked about how, for example, it is one thing to play notes and another to perform music. That it is one thing to know some sign language (I know a few signs), and another to inhabit and interpret the ESL translation (as she does).

I said it was one thing to say some bible verses or cite some Jesus stories, but another thing--called incarnation and holiness--to inhabit the gospel in such a way that it becomes art and music and authentic testimony (maybe I should have preached that sermon here!).

Turns out, Michelle has interpreted (including this one) the last four General Conferences and will most likely also be in Minneapolis. She told me to tell you that you can find the ESL on the English stream, though she herself will not be on it tomorrow as her duties will focus on deaf delegates.

May God grant us all sleep and peace and the assurance that because God is God and we are God's children, all is well. And all is well. And, as St. Julian said, all manner of things shall be well.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind words. :-). American Sign Language is often referred to as ASL (not ESL) :-)

    ReplyDelete

Fishing for the Future

takemefishing.org I was supposed to go fishing this afternoon.  Didn’t happen, though. Bummer. I love to fish, though I do not...