Sunday, February 24, 2019

When Worship Runs Aground...


And so this is where we are…

As I was blogging about how wonderful I thought Ken’s sermon was this morning, a couple of folk behind me were talking. I gradually realized they were offering headshakes and critique of the same sermon. One of them was the pastor of a 6000 member church in LA, who says that he heard the sermon as a political pitch for the One Church Plan.

I said, I heard it as an exegesis of Paul.

He said, “Well, that just shows how we disagree and there is no point in our discussing it. Not profitable.”

I said, “What could make it profitable? How might we talk about it that it is a discussion, not an argument.”

“It is too late for that,” he said.

I kept trying to engage him. He said that if things in the church stay the same, he can remain. If the Modified Traditional Plan passes, same. But if the One Church Plan passes, he will have to leave. That he would never have joined the UMC if he had thought, ever, we would move away from our traditional stance.

For him, it all comes down to Acts 15, where the Jerusalem Council told the Gentile churches “to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from strangled animals, and sexual immorality.”

He said that, for him, he had to read “sexual immorality” as same-sex relationships. I wondered if we impose that particular reading on that word, but I said I am just wondering.

“He shook his head. No way we are going to change each other’s minds,” he said.  

“I’m not trying to change your mind,” I said. “I am just trying to understand, and to see if we can talk.”

He said, “It’s no longer profitable. Now, if we leave, I will still be in ministry and support ministry with Reconciling Congregations, and we will baptize babies of gay couples. I have no problem with that. But it is time for us to separate.”

“It feels like a bad divorce to me,” I said.

We shook hands. “Good luck on your blogging,” he said. “Peace of Christ,” I said.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fishing for the Future

takemefishing.org I was supposed to go fishing this afternoon.  Didn’t happen, though. Bummer. I love to fish, though I do not...